Built on Relationships, Developed on Trust
MK Fintech Partners is a leading law firm in the investment services and funds industry. We offer comprehensive legal services including licensing, fund formation, and tax optimization to fund managers, asset managers, and investment firms. Our team of expert lawyers has extensive experience in navigating the complex regulations of this industry and providing tailored solutions to meet our clients' unique needs.
Malta’s booming Investment Services Space
Discover Malta’s Thriving Investment Hub: Flexibility, Regulator Support, & Favourable Taxes
Malta is a highly regarded location for investment service providers, funds, and asset managers in Europe. As an EU member state, Malta boasts a significant number of fund managers and administrators, making it a popular choice among fund service providers. The island is home to approximately 130 Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs), 55 Notified AIFs, 358 Professional Investor Funds (PIFs), and 106 Undertakings for Collective Investment in Transferable Securities (UCITS), with a combined Net Asset Valuation of 16 Billion.
Investment firms, fund managers, and promoters commend Malta for its flexible investment products, the introduction of the Recognised Incorporated Cell Company, and the MFSA regulator’s open-door policy. Licensees find the MFSA licensing process to be quick, thorough, and highly efficient.
Malta offers various legal forms for setting up funds, giving providers the choice between self-management or outsourcing to a local or foreign administrator. Additionally, Malta’s favorable fiscal environment, including a strong network of double tax treaties and no tax at the fund level for non-resident investors, makes it an attractive option for individuals, including asset managers and senior MFSA-licensed financial operators who benefit from favorable tax rates on their employment income.
What are Investment Service Providers?
Understanding Licensed Investment Service Providers in Malta
Licensing of PIFs, AIFs and UCITS Funds
Fund Structures and Regulations in Malta
UCITS funds are created in compliance with the EU’s UCITS directive and are marketable to the public in all EU and EEA countries. AIFs can be marketed to retail investors, professional investors, and high-net-worth investors, while PIFs are only for high-net-worth investors, with a minimum investment of €100,000.
Tax Advantages for Investment Service Providers, Funds and Fund Managers
Discover incentives for establishing in Malta
Malta’s tax laws offer numerous exemptions to encourage the establishment of funds and fund managers on the island. Key benefits include:
- No dividend tax for non-resident investors
- No tax on investment disposal by non-residents
- Investment income from assets outside Malta is tax-free
- No stamp duty on share issues or transfers
- No tax on fund’s net asset value
- 5% tax rate for Malta-licensed fund managers through shareholder refunds
- VAT-exemption for fund management and administration services.
How We Can Help You
applying our legal expertise to your projects
- Business Plan guidance
- Preparation and submission of all license application documents
- Liaising with the MFSA and accompanying you to all preliminary meetings
- Filing all fit and proper tests for all key persons for the MFSA’s approval
- Drafting MFSA response letters as may be required
- Referrals to competent persons in our network to fill any needed roles (MLRO, compliance officer, systems auditor, etc.)
- Any other legal support required throughout the license application process